A long distance move may mean a new adventure, but preparing for and executing such a move can be stressful. There are many details to consider, lists to make, regulations to check, deadlines to worry about, and the list goes on and on. While a completely stress-free move might not be in the cards, there are some things you can do to minimize the stress and focus instead on the adventure of your long distance move. Whether you’re relocating a few states over or to the other side of the world, keep these tips in mind!
Plan. Plan. Plan.
Sounds simple, but you’d be surprised how many people call our Orange County long distance moving company for help with a move that is happening in a week or two. While we’ll do everything we can to help—even on short notice—it’s always better to plan as far in advance as possible. This includes researching Orange County long distance moving companies and reserving the one you feel is the best fit. You should reserve your preferred mover as soon as possible to avoid having to settle for your second choice.
When should planning begin? As soon as you learn about the upcoming move! The more time you have to plan, the better off you’ll be. Even if your move is several months out, there are some things you can begin to do including:
- If you have a rarely used room, use it as a moving-day staging area. If you’re planning to do some of the packing yourself, pack up that room as much as possible and then use the space to stack boxes of items that you know you won’t need between now and the time you move.
- Start the process of getting rid of items you no longer need. This could be via donations, giving them away, or even selling them. (See more on this in the “Downsize” section below.)
- Start researching services in your new location such as cable and internet providers, doctors, schools, etc., so you’ll have a head start when it’s time to set up these services.
- If you’re planning an international move, make sure all passports are in order and that you make any necessary arrangements for bringing your pets overseas.
- Choose your mover and reserve your date. Again, the sooner you do this, the better!
You do not need to pack those 20 pairs of jeans that haven’t fit you since the 90s. The box of cheap knick-knacks that have been in a box for 15 years can probably go, too. Moving is a perfect time to downsize and declutter. Purge the things that you no longer need and start fresh in your new home. You can:
- Give Things Away: Perhaps your family and friends would like some of the items you no longer need.
- Donate to Charity: Thrift stores that support charities will happily take your donations, and you’ll even get a receipt for a tax write-off!
- Have a Yard Sale: Make a few bucks by holding a yard sale. If you don’t have enough items for that, you can still sell your things on sites like Craiglist or OfferUp.
Consider the Kids and the Pets
If you’re moving with kids and/or pets, it’s important to consider them in your moving day planning. Ideally, you’ll be able to have them out from under foot while the movers do their thing. Perhaps you could make plans for a neighbor to watch the kids and the pets could hang out at a nearby doggy daycare.
Speaking of your pets, be sure that all vaccinations are up-to-date and that you have a current certificate of health from your vet for each of your pets.
Prep the New Home
If possible, spend a few days prepping your new home. You could do this by arriving to your new destination a few days ahead of the movers. Stay in a nearby hotel and spend time painting, covering the floors, ensuring the utilities are on, and shoring up the backyard to make it dog proof. This way, when the moving truck arrives, your new home is ready and you can focus on unpacking.
Choose Reliable Orange County Long Distance Movers
This is one of the most important decisions you’ll make as you plan your move. Not everyone with a dolly and a truck is a qualified mover. Instead, you need to choose the services of experienced Orange County long distance movers. Alex Moving & Storage provides comprehensive moving services and is committed to achieving 100% customer satisfaction. Our team of movers and relocation coordinators can help you plan and implement your long distance move.
We have the experience, expertise, and resources to get the job done right! As a Wheaton World Wide agent, we have access to the best moving equipment and professionals all around the world. Plus, we have A+ accreditation with the Better Business Bureau and ProMover status, so you can be sure that we have proven our commitment to providing exceptional customer service.
Alex Moving & Storage offers commercial moving services as well as expert residential services. If you’re moving your business down the street or across the country, call us!
When it comes to long distance moves, OrangeCounty residents and business owners can trust Alex Moving & Storage! Give us a call to learn more, or fill out our online contact form to schedule a free, no-obligation moving estimate.
Subscribe to Alex Moving & Storage's Blog