When you're moving, the last thing you want is to get injured. Unfortunately, many people do end up getting hurt during a move. This can be due to improper lifting techniques, trying to carry too much weight, or slipping and falling. In this blog post, the expert Orange County long-distance movers at Alex Moving & Storage discuss the best tips for preventing injury during a move. Following these tips will help keep you safe and injury-free!
Before Moving Day
Before your moving day, make sure to get a good night's sleep as the much-needed rest can help you feel ready to tackle the day. When you wake up, make sure to eat a good breakfast as you'll need that energy to power you through the moving process. Along with these tips, be sure to do the following before moving day:
Proper Lifting Techniques To Prevent Injury
Many people experience different types of injuries on moving day. Whether they strain their back, or simply falling down when picking up an item, bad technique is usually attributed to causing these injuries. That is why it is important to use proper lifting techniques as they can help prevent an injury from occurring. Here are some proper lifting techniques that can help prevent injury on moving day.
- Before you start moving your items, take some time to stretch to make sure your body is warmed up and ready for moving.
- Remember to always bend at the knees and avoid bending forward as you risk hurting your back doing so.
- Tighten your stomach muscles to ensure you have proper control of the item.
- Keep the item as close to you to as possible to avoid any unnecessary strain on your back and other muscles.
- Lift straight up and avoid leaning over.
- Always squat down when putting down a box or other items instead of bending over and putting them down.
Other General Injury Prevention Guidelines During A Move
Along with lifting techniques, there are other things to take into consideration when moving. Proper lifting techniques may help prevent injury during a move, but there are other factors to take into account to ensure that you are as prepared as possible to tackle moving day.
- Take your time - this is not a race!
- Don't lift more than you can handle. Use tools such as a dolly and lifting strips to move heavy items.
- Watch out for slippery surfaces. Use caution when walking in areas that may be wet or icy.
- Clear any pathways you may have to walk through to reduce the risk of an accident occurring.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing. They will help you stay safe and avoid getting injured. Closed-toed shoes and slightly loose clothing are good choices for moving day.
- Take breaks as needed as it's important to stay hydrated and rested during a move.
- Keep your head up and pay attention to your surroundings. It can help you avoid accidents.
Moving can be difficult and time-consuming, but it doesn't have to be dangerous. By following these tips, you can help prevent injury during your move. Remember to take your time, use proper lifting techniques, and don't try to do everything yourself! With a little bit of planning and preparation, you can make your move a safe one.
Contact Us Today For A Free Estimate!
Here at Alex Moving & Storage, we can handle all of your long-distance and residential relocation and storage needs. We are both Orange County long-distance movers and Orange County residential movers, so you know you're working with the best.
Subscribe to Alex Moving & Storage's Blog